Happy Monday folks! I hope you all had lovely weekends. I sure did.

This Sunday was the local 1/2 Marathon and 5K that my beloved running group, the BRA, hosts. And as such I decided to volunteer for it. While I totally recommend volunteering at any race, I do not recommend consuming large quantities of glühwein the night before. Holy hangover Batman!

I had a busy weekend. Friday night was the BRA holiday party and Saturday night was my friend’s Ugly Christmas Sweater Party. I was well behaved on Friday night so I could get in my 14 miler Saturday morning. In fact, since so many were racing on Sunday I had no choice but to attempt running with some peeps who are faster than me. I finished my 14 miles at an 8:30 average pace and realize that this was not the smartest idea I’ve ever had. It was hard! Thanks to D, Little J, and Pastor Paul for pulling me along.
As my friend who hosted the Ugly Christmas Sweater Party is German, she introduced me to the lovely aforementioned beverage. She warned me, “It’ll sneak up on you.” I was all, “Oh whatever. This is just hot sangria.” But alas, it snuck up on me and when my alarm went off at 5:30 AM on Sunday morning, I realized that not only did the mulled wine sneak up on me, it also kicked me in the head. But I had a special job at the race and a little water and some Advil helped get me through the morning.

I know I have mentioned before how cool it is to volunteer at a race but it bears repeating. I got to see all my friends run by and cheer them on and I also got to see people I didn’t know finish their first 5K or 1/2 marathon. The looks of determination followed by pride are an amazing thing to see. Special congrats must go out to Melanie on her first race!

The only downside to my day of volunteering was the large amount of idiot drivers who continuously attempted to drive through the race route. While we did have police out blocking traffic, some drivers still felt they should barrel through the race. I’m pretty sure I scared the crap out of a couple who tried to go around the cones when I got all up in their window and shouted, “WHAT DO YOU THINK THE COP CAR IS THERE FOR!?!?” Morons.
After the race, P-Funk and I headed to get some breakfast and celebrate her shiny new 1/2 marathon PR. Then I immediately went home to get back in bed for a few hours. Heh. When I awoke it was all cleaning, bathing Lloyd (who stunk like nobody’s bidness), and FINALLY putting up my Christmas tree and decorations.
Whew. What a weekend.
Have a great week kids.