I have been in training this week and thus my posting has been sporadic. I ask you all to bear with me while I finish up training and get on a more regular schedule.
Speaking of regular, due to my goofy training schedule I have been running in the morning and today, I had to go.
Number Two. Not a bathroom in sight for two miles. Ouch.
Anyway, yesterday, I did a nice little treadmill run (not calling it dreadmill for this post). While running on the treadmill yesterday and during today’s, shall we say, “clincher” I thought of a short list of why the treadmill could be a runner’s best friend. List time. Yippee!
1. Bathrooms are always accessible near a treadmill. Funny how that works isn’t it? No treadmills in the great wide open, but lots of places to go #1 or #2 or #3 (combo of #1 and #2).
2. Perfect weather. No rain, clouds, lightning, hail, snow, sleet, or even wind! (Unless you count that random fan some gyms have.) It’s always clear skies and cool temps in treadmill land. Sweet!
3. TV. America’s real past time is TV watching and you can watch to your heart’s content while on the ‘mill. I personally enjoy VHI in the morning. They actually play music videos!
4. Clothing optional. If your treadmill is at home, feel free to run in the buff. I am sure Fido appreciates the view (and no I don’t mean the one with Whoopi and Joy.)
5. Non-matching clothing. I run at my apartment complex treadmill and since I don’t know anyone and don’t care about them seeing me, I wear the tackiest, weirdest running clothes I have available. I am not wasting my cute outfits on the treadmill!
6. People watching. Most treadmills are at gyms and thus, the people watching is amazing. It’s like a parade of monkeys that move past you, versus you being the monkey while running the streets. Don’t forget the popcorn!
7. This goes without saying but being able to see your pace, calories burned, incline, heart rate, etc. all huge and illuminated in front of you is pretty nice. Heck, you can even look over at the person’s next to you just to make sure that you, are in fact, more awesome.
8. Did I mention the bathroom? Right there? Go at any time.
9. Run at any time. Day, night, weekends, weekdays. The treadmill is never too scary at night and you can run alone without fear of being kidnapped.
10. No traffic! No cars, bicycles, strollers, “Sunday walkers”, big growling dogs, etc. You don’t have to swerve to avoid crazy tots on bikes nor do you have to worry about speeding maniacs. Unless of course, your gym is next to a bar.
OK, so the treadmill can’t beat outdoor running, but it’s a nice alternative during times when I can’t meet the running group or get my run in before it’s too dark for this scaredy cat to get out there.
I hope you all are having a great week. Special thanks to the Veteran’s out there. You served us proudly and we thank you! Happy Veteran’s Day!
I've thought about giving the treadmill a try… I love #7 – I always check out other people's numbers to see if I'm beating them or if I should suck it up more!
While you give an extremely entertaining and in some aspects compelling argument for the DREADMILL I think I will continue to run in the great outdoors full of fresh air, bums, etc… well unless it's raining anyway. 🙂 LOL!
I MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE WHOOPI!! (inside joke)
Bad thing about treadmill….no P-Funk
I can tell you folks that B.o.B. has this inate gift of knowing the locations of all the port-a-pottys in town (or at least on all the running routes). I'm impressed. But when they MOVE the port-a-pottys….!! She's NOT happy!
it may not rain, but beware of the sweaty guy next to you!!!
I also love #7. So true! Unfortunately, although the proximity of bathrooms is close, the fact that I've had 3 kids and all the bouncing on my treadmill make me have to go 3 times as often..TMI! I've had to resort to wearing respectable clothes because it never fails-the UPS man or Jehovah's witnesses will inevitably knock on my door 5 minutes into my run!
You had me at "bathroom".
Okay, so the dreadmill (I mean TREADmill) isn't soooo bad… I will definitely be using the ones at my gym this winter when the weather is just too nasty.
Yes the treadmill has some advantages for sure. For me the bathroom is by far the biggest one. I have had way too many accidents and incidents behind bushes.
Ha! I love this list. I too believe in the non cute running attire for the treadmill–who cares! But, when I'm outside, I must be color coordinated and cute. I love running outside, but, I find that for speedwork, the treadmill is my friend–it forces me to maintain the speed for X minutes or distance, whatever–whereas slacker pants here will just go all out for 10 seconds outside and call it good. This is a problem.
I'm not a fan of cold weather at all, so I love the treadmill for winter, but I get bored pretty easily on it and I hate when people decide to turn the heat on in the gym. I'm probably that sweaty guy – well,sweaty girl – on the next treadmill that spike mentioned above; watch out for me!
I like #9. I won't run at night by myself either. People make fun of me, but I don't care. For a while I ran circles in my cul de sac, but that was even worse than a treadmill!
I have always been a treadmill girl. I go through weird fazes where I absolutely love the treadmill for every run and thinking of runnign outside makes my stomach churn, then there are the days when I can't even look at it and must hit the streets.
And yes, the bathroom aspect is AWESOMWE! Oh, and I love lists, so thanks!
Hope the new job is going well! 😉
Hell no! I won't go! Combo #1 & #2……….Ha. Could I use the moving sidewalk at the airport???
Monkey watching is my favorite, especially at the gym…oh and I love wearing whatever I can pick up off the floor to workout in…whatever!!
good list! the treadmill may have some positives. now I just need to remind myself of those good points when I'm mid-treadmill run.
I do not use the treadmill haven't in a year and won't, but that is a HILARIOUS post. The gym is pure entertainment isn't it? Um yea running in the buff? I'm not even an A and pretty sure I'd be in pain by the end. 😉
I was getting a little nervous when YOU said that you heart-ed the treadmill in the title…oh boy.
Seriously, it doesn't even compare to running outside, but yeah…it's nice to have a potty close. 🙂 That sucks about your morning run emergency.
LOVE #7!!! I am sooo guilty of doing this 🙂
I actually don't hate the treadmill, in fact some days I just am in the mood for it as opposed to outdoors.
"…being able to see your pace, calories burned, incline, heart rate, etc. all huge and illuminated in front of you."
You do understand how bogus most of that info is right?
I'll run in 20 degrees and sleet before I step foot on a treadmill.
Great list and I concur! i love being more awesome than the person next to me! NEVER gets old!!! 🙂
LOL, #3–a combo of #1 and #2!
This is why I love your blog– You are always finding the positive side of things!!!!
I hate the treadmill– but you helped me focus on some of the positives! You make it sound very good… running naked??? mmmmm have not tried that yet………….
i reacquainted with the treadmill this week too. I'm taking the winter to base build for triathlon, and would like to resume my focus on HR training. SO much easier on a treadmill when the pace is constant, don't have to worry about outside elements and elevation changes not in your control. I will miss running outdoors, but not freezing my water bottles while out there. Yes, we're in slightly different climates LMAO! The people watching is fun indeed, I love those guys that walk by the mirror, then again, then again, and yes, again. 🙂
Bah! I live in California. We don't need no stinking treadmills! And be careful B.o.B. I hear that bears also s**t in the woods….
These are all great reasons and when I first read the post I thought I have NO reasons to like the treadmill. Yours are great and certainly are true. LOL.
Nice to see some positive reasons to run on a treadmill… I've been stuck on the treadmill for the last couple weeks because of by ITBS… so here's another reason.
11. If you're training with ITBS and you're knee starts to ache halfway through your run then you won't have to endure the judgmental stare of every stranger driving by you as you complete your walk of shame home.
Great opinions, I loving running, and it has been one week that the top temperatures are over 30 in melbourne, and now I'm happy I bought the treadmill from lifespanfitness before the hot days came. So I totally understand the points you list. Good on you B.o.B.
lol, I have this image of people running on treadmills in the nude now lol
i love the treadmill! It's the only way i can get a long run in and watch football without having the kids throw things at me. can't get by without it.
haha. i haaate the call of nature on a run. i swear it has happened to me more times than not this year. the treadmill is definitely handy to have on "irritable bowel" days.
unfortunately my current treadmill isn't always cool-temp guaranteed in the hotel. some idiot goes in there and turn the air OFF and it gets to be like 80*, flippin' hot!
As much as I hate running on the treadmill, it certainly does have its advantages!
My treadmill threw me off one time…and since then, I've been scared…like really really scared…to go on it again. Is that normal? I feel like I need boxing gloves next time I go 'cause it's a fight every time!
I *so* need a treadmill!
when I had my treadmill at home I loved running o it for so many of those reasons. Now however at the condo I don't always get to control the tv and apparently I need to wear a little more clothing
Definitely not a big treadmill fan (although I'm fine on the elliptical. Strange. I know), but these are all great reasons I will keep in mind this winter when it's too snowy/icy to run outside!
Great list! Thanks for that…I always DREAD my treadmill runs…I will think of your list next time!
Great list! Thanks for sharing! I always DREAD my treadmill runs. I'll try and remember your list on my next indoor run. : )
The TV is clutch!
I had a great dreadmill run this afternoon. I HATE running in the cold (highs mid-40s here).
Oh man, I HATE the treadmill… I can never make it happen even if the TV is on adn amazing. I usually walk outside and run! haha. I do like the always accessible bathroom though!
I heart my treadmill. I specifically got it so that I could "run anytime I want to". Funny thing, "anytime I want" turns out to much less often than I thought. But it's THERE.
Great post, I love basically all your reasons, mainly the bathroom factor = absolutely KEY! and #2 – the perfect temperature – I from up in Canada and I definately don't do the running in the snow thing – thats too hardcore for me 🙂
I can't believe I'm about to say this . . . but this post actually makes me appreciate treadmills! And I am SO not a fan normally. Thanks for putting things in perspective! 🙂
Treadmills are okay for maybe 25-50% of your miles (and only 50% if you have lots of bad weather)
1) Makes you think you can run faster than you are compared to outside(especially if you do not use 1.0-1.5 degree up angle – which you should always use!)
2) Can cause repetitive injuries more – due to same stride with no obstacles or changes.
3) If you don't have a treadmill in or near your house – you have to travel to the gym instead of just running from the house
4) You have to clean up the sweat on the machine after (well at least I do!)
5) With no headphones, you have no idea what they are saying on the TVs
6) If you don't pay attention you can "drift" to the left or right and can hit the edge of the machine. Do you know what happens when you do that . . . Whump! (sound of head hitting treadmill – not me but close calls, and seen a guy go out cold from this!)
7) Although bathroom is there, it gives you the ability to "train" to take a stop if you have any feelings of pressure (instead of running
8) Buttons – all those buttons on the machines – how to operate the new machine. This causes other new treadmill users to bug you to ask "how
does this thing work"? (of course then they "work out" for like 7 minutes once they get it going)
9) Long runs on a treadmill . . . BORING! (8 miles is about my max before going crazy)
10) Although it is easier to people watch, you can get busted more easily if you turn around to state at a bodacious woman or man since you
can't really wear your sunglasses indoors now can you?