A few years ago I wrote a post called The Wisdom of Rappers
. I stumbled upon it yesterday and found myelf thinking just how smart those hip hop men and women are. It’s not easy rhyming things with “chedda” and “wangster.”
I have always been a lover of hip hop. I can’t remember a time I wasn’t listening to it. I think my mom used to just put on the Top 40 or Soul Train and it infused in my brain. I’ve also found that booty music is one of my most favorite genres. It’s all dancey and goofy and there isn’t a lot of deep thought. This can also be helpful when you just want to let loose and shake what your mama gave you.
It’s no wonder that sometimes when I need a little inspiration by way of feelin’ like a pimp (go on brush your shoulders off) I turn to my ipod full of beat poppin’ glory. I love the swag of hip hop artists. I don’t care how over the top arrogant they sound. It’s part of the culture of hip hop and I’d love an ounce of that bad assery.
Some people like to sing show tunes while they workout, others like heavy metal to get amped, but me, I love hip hop. Without further ado, here’s part II of some lyrics featuring the wisdom (and motivational themes)of rappers.
1. I’m not saying I’m number one, uh, I’m sorry I lied. I’m number one, two, three, four and five. – KRS-One
2. Girl, you working with some ass yeah, you bad yeah. -Juvenile
3. Make a business for yourself, boy, set some goals. Make a fat diamond out of dusty coals. -Outkast
4. I came to win, to fight, to conquer, to thrive. -Nicki Minaj
5. I’m gonna take this itty bitty world by storm. And I’m just gettin warm. -LL Cool J
6. But I’m a champion, so I turned tragedy to triumph. – Kanye West
7. From Hawaii to Hawthorne, I run marathons. Like Buju Banton, I’m a true champion. -Prazwell (Fugees)
8. I run the marathon til the very last mile. -Beastie Boys
9. Listen to me now, I’m lastin twenty rounds. And if you want me (people) then come on get me now. -Missy Elliott
10. All I do is win, win, win, no matter what. -DJ Khaled
11. Can’t never count me out, y’all better count me in. -Ludacris
As per usual, feel free to add your own in the comments. TGIF!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who looks at lyrics (in any genre) to get me going while running!Love these!
I love the booty music too! A lot of those songs are my usual playlist too.
A few from great rap songs to run to:
"If I can't do it… Homie it can't be done." – 50 cent.
"Work Hard, Play Hard" – Wiz Khalifa
I love that you can go there and get a little grimy…here are a few of my favorites:
1. I never sleep 'cause sleep is the cousin of death (Nas)
2. Rappers spit rhymes that are mostly illegal
MC's spit rhymes to uplift their people (KRS1)
3. We used to fuss when the landlord dissed us/No heat. Wonder why Christmas missed us/Birthdays was the worst days/Now we sip champagne when we thirst-ay. (B.I.G)
4. And even after all my logic and my theory/I add a "Motherf&$#er" so you ignorant [people] hear me. (Lauryn Hill)
"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast but we like hot butter on ya breakfast toast" – Sugar Hill Gang
Is there any other music to run to?! Hip hoppyness for the win… Until I try to break out a few moves while running.