So here we go in list form (YAY!). As always, please add yours in the comments.
1. Why do we run 26.2 miles but park as close to the front of the grocery store as possible?
2. Why is talking about bodily functions ok amongst runners but frowned upon otherwise?
3. Why is losing a toenail due to dropping something on your foot an abomination, but losing one to running is a trophy?
4. Why do I spend over $100 on running shoes, but refuse to spend that kind of money on shoes I wear to work every day?
5. Do we really hate running in the extreme heat or cold – or do we just love to complain about it during and then brag about it later?
6. How many licks does it take to get to the center of the tootsie roll pop?
7. If you poo in a porta potty and no one is around to hear it, did it make a sound?
8. As a non-camper, how can a girl like me, pop a squat during a run and then refuse to sleep outside?
9. Are all runners as neurotic about their shoes as I am? I mean I don’t want any other shoes touching them, or even looking at them sideways. (I’ll show you black pointy toe pump!)
10. Is there such a thing as a perfect sports bra?
11. Do men talk about women while running as much as women talk about men while running?
12. Do all runners secretly love wowing folks with their awesome mileage for the week?
13. Why is a raven like a writing desk?
14. Do running moms and dads secretly hope their kids will be track stars?
15. How does Ryan Hall put on his pants? One leg at a time or does he just hop into them?
16. Is it possible to be lazy and a runner?
17. Do all runners like to say word fartlek? Heh heh heh, fartlek.
18. Has anyone ever punched someone at race for yelling, “You’re almost there!”
19. Is it really ok to fart while running or is that considered air pollution? And if it is does farting while running make you go faster?
20. Did I run out of things to blog about?
#18 Made me laugh – I've wanted to punch someone who said "You're almost there." several times!
#1 because when we're done we know we may need ice, drink, food or a real bathroom.
#2 because we understand
#3 only those who have damaged a nail from running can understand the awe!
#4 Me too!!!
#5 I think we like to complain
#8 oh that is me!!!!!!
#10 let me know I haven't found one yet
#11 you should know that answer!
#12 uh yeah
#13 I have no idea!
#14 I think so
#15 you could email and ask?
#16 I think so!
#17 I think some don't even know what that is
#18 NO but I sure wanted to!!!!!
#19 ask the men
awesome post! i LOLed the whole time!
This is hilarious! I can relate to way too many of these. Guess that means I'm a runner, huh?!
LOVE LOVE the list. And I am totally all over #9.
1.Because we earned those 26.2 miles, we deserve a break the rest of the time.
2. Runners are awesome, obviously. And by 'awesome' I mean, we've all been there!
3. Because it doesn't really hurt when you lose it running and also, it's pretty badass. Dropping something is just lame.
4. I have no idea, but, my work shoes are my Target, so, I'm guilty as well.
5. We like to brag about it. At least I do.
8. Because sleeping outside is not a nessecity. I don't camp either!
10. Mine is pretty darn close–Under Armour high impact type. Love it.
14. Probably, but, I wasn't fast then (in track) or now, but, if they love running too, that's awesome!
15. He totally hops.
16. Heck yes. I am Exhibit A.
17. You bet! At least the ones I know.
18. I've come close–but only when it's a blatant lie–mile 23 of 26.2 is not "almost there".
19. Don't think it makes you go faster, but, it's worth a try, right? tee hee!
#16- yes, that describes me perfectly
OMG I love this. #1- I wait for closer parking spaces and I hate walking but can't wait to run?! I'm too sore to do pretty much everything, except running. This is seriously hysterical. I might have to do something similar.
great post! Made me chuckle with coffee in my mouth. luckily I kept it in!
LMAO! Great post boo!
I really have to laugh at #4 because anytime I look at shoes all I ever say is no way that's tooooo much money, but when it comes to running shoes I don't give it a second thought!
Great post… here's my comments on a few of your gems!!!
11. the ratio of all talk:talking about women is probably about the same… but something tells me that the total volume of talk for woman is A LOT MORE!!!
14. My wife's not even pregnant yet, and I'm already building the trophy case (seriously though… I'm trying to figure out how to steer my future theoretical children towards running without forcing them in to hating it, and then resenting me and running for the rest of their lives)
15. I'm pretty sure that when you get to a certain level of eliteness you get your own personal pantser to put your pants on for you…
16. yes… yes… 100 times yes… my wife's nickname for me when we first started dating was "lumpy" because of the fact that I laid around on her couch so much… Yep, she picked a winner 😉
Fun list. So true, so true. (No we don't talk about women while we run, unless there is one bouncing in front of us with a pony tail and very tight shorts. 🙂 )
1. It doesn’t count towards our weekly totals
2. They can go to the potty anytime, and not ruin a PR
3. The first shows how awesome you are, the second how klutzy
4. So our feet feel pampered during the correct times
6. However long it takes… my wife says… wait I can’t say that here
7. If it did, watch out for the splash.. I hate when it does that
8. Just think if there was a runner going through your camp site a few days ago….yuck
9. Must be a gal thing.
10. LOL, I know my answer to that.. wait I can’t say that here, again
11. It is all we talk about, especially in a race when surrounded by them
12. No, we don’t make it a secret
13. I think I really don’t have anything better to do than to ponder that question, Alice.
14. No, haven’t you ever been hounded by the parents of a runner? lol
15. He has sent pictures of himself laying on his back on the bed, putting his pants on both legs at once, just to scare his competitors.
16. I’ll get around to that one when I have the time
17. Fartlek, fartlek, fartlek, fartlek, everyone sing together now…
18. One of those things that every runner wants to do at some time. That and demand “More Cowbells”
19. Oh no, my secret is out.
20. I think I may have run out of answers….
1. I never park close to any door. I park for easy getaway and in an area where few others park.
"Why is talking about bodily functions ok amongst runners but frowned upon otherwise?" I talk about my bodily functions to anyone who will listen, runner or not, so this one doesn't apply to me. I'm weird.
But the rest of your list??? Spot on!
#3. What are toenails??
#6. 3 licks to get to the center – per Mr. Owl
#11. I run with Coach Tom. Take a wild guess…..
Is it sad that I do know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
Yeah I counted. Awesome!
(I was young and bored)
ohh man the shoe one really got me…I am sooo cheap with work shoes it's probably not a good thing
Great post!!! And I don't think farting while running is air pollution. Otherwise, someone should call Al Gore on me because I'm sure I've contributed to global warming.
#16 – definitely. poster child, right here. 🙂
#13 made me laugh the hardest.
#17 FARTLEK!!!!! lmao I'm going to try to use this in a conversation with a non-runner tomorrow. 🙂
Fartlek cracks me up too. I'm 12.
Funny post! Love it!!
Great post…My husband thinks Gu is such a funny thing for me to talk about…
Why does eating Gu while running make you feel "cool", but if you would mention eating Gu to a non-runner, they would just think you were "weird?"
Hahaha..sooo funny and true.
These ones hit home….
#1…I ALWAYS look for "Rock Star" parking as my family calls it and will drive for days until I get it…lol.
#14…I want my kids to be runners sooooooo bad, my son ran his first little race at 5 and this past yr (age 9)he did two 5ks…PR'd just a few weeks ago and I have him out running with my husband at least once or twice a week. (But he can do whatever he wants…he doesnt have to be a runer…lol)
#16…running equals allowed to be lazy at other times. 🙂
men like to look at women while running. no talking. you look too good.
I don't think Ryan Hall ever takes his pants off.
Theories of ass propulsion abound, but I think it helps to fart while running. and peeing on yourself while bike riding is a great way to put something warm on your legs.
I don't think we talk about women as much as we do about booty shorts….
And I am proof that the answer to #16 is YES!!!
13: * Because the notes for which they are noted are not noted for being musical notes. (Puzzle maven Sam Loyd, 1914)
* Because Poe wrote on both. (Loyd again)
* Because there is a B in both and an N in neither. (Get it? Aldous Huxley, 1928)
* Because it slopes with a flap. (Cyril Pearson, undated)
(taken from: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1173/why-is-a-raven-like-a-writing-desk
(because I am such a nerd!)